So, in preparation for the celebration, I thought that I would take a cue from my friend Samantha. She decorated a gingerbread house with her daughter Mallory (who is 3 weeks younger than Anna & she is due with her 2nd in 12 weeks). When I read her blog about it, I thought what a great idea. However, I was still on "bed rest" and the thought of doing that type of project with the girls was a little overwhelming. So, on my latest trip to Joann fabrics to pick up a few things - o.k. a lot of things (because they were having some great sales), I found that they had a gingerbread house kit in a box - the house pieces already made, icing mix to make, and candies. AND it was 50% off. So, I thought it might be a fun project for the girls to do. Boy howdy was I right on that one. Of course the girls had to try the icing and the candies. I tried to limit them, but I know they snuck tastes in when I wasn't looking. I assembled the basic house together last night so the girls could concentrate on decorating without having to wait for the house to "set up." They were very into it.
I decided that it would be easier for them to work on it together if they could each have a "side." So, I figured it would be best for them to work at their little table. It worked out perfectly, well, as perfectly as a 4 & 2 year old can work on something together with frosting and small candies. And, yes, they are still in their PJs. That is because they are wearing their new Aurora nightgowns and won't take them off. Hmmmm. I think I have created some monsters with those nightgowns.
This activity occupied them for more than 45 minutes. That is pretty good in my book. I was very surprised. I had to bribe them with some mini chocolate chips so that I could finally clean up the mess and get them from devouring the rest of the frosting and candies.
I even took a shot at decorating a little bit. I enjoyed it very much - so much so that next year, I have some great plans for our own little village. Hmmmmmm.
Here is what Anna did on her side of the Gingerbread house. She also contributed some candies to Celie's side as well.
Here is Celie's side of the house. Once she got into the hang of it, she was all about putting the various candies on the roof.
Now we have a great centerpiece for our X-mas celebration.
No comments:
Post a Comment